By Sarah Dupre, ETC
Do you respond to the prayers at Mass with energy? Do you reflect upon the prayers at Mass? Do you know the meaning of the words of the Eucharistic prayer? Are you familiar with all the parts and elements of the Mass, their history, their meaning, their power to transform the assembly? Do you know there will be some changes in the prayers of the Mass and the peoples’ response in the future?
Before becoming overwhelmed with the thought of possibly not knowing as much as you thought you did, register for one of the upcoming Catechetical Mass Workshops presented by the Office of Worship and the Diocesan Liturgical Commission.
“This is a good time to review the Mass with the faithful. We’re going to talk about not only the parts of the Mass but also a little about the historical foundation in each of those parts and what the liturgical documents say about each of those parts,” said Rosalind Sanchez, director of the Office of Worship.
The workshop will also answer questions about the postures and gestures during Mass, the meaning of the Eucharistic Prayer, and will answer questions that you might have never thought about.
Sanchez said the hope is that by holding these workshops attendees will come to appreciate and understand the Mass more, so that when the new translation of the Roman Missal is implemented, “the theology and spirituality of those changes may make more sense.”
The workshops will be an interactive learning experience at parishes across the diocese. Instead of sitting in a room hearing about the Mass, the workshops will take a hands on approach with the pastors of the parishes assisting with a walk through of the different parts of the Mass.
Anyone from any parish may attend whichever workshop is most convenient. Handouts will be provided for all in attendance. Participants will have an opportunity to write any questions they may have on a Q&A form. The questions and answers will be posted on the Office of Worship website.
All workshops are 10 a.m.-noon, with sign-in 9:15-9:45 a.m. Pre-registration is preferred so a sufficient number of handouts will be available for all participants. Complete information is available at http://www.dioceseofbmt.org.
Registrations may be made by calling the Office of Worship at (409) 924-4321, or by email to email@example.com.
- Nov. 20, St. Jude Thaddeus Church, Beaumont, Father John Hughes presiding.
- Dec. 4, St. Pius X Church, Beaumont, Father Joseph O. Dang, S.V.D., presiding.
- Dec. 11, St. John the Evangelist Church, Port Arthur, Father Sinclair Oubre, presiding.
- Jan. 15, 2011, Blessed Sacrament Church, Beaumont, Father Henry Davis, S.S.J., presiding.
- Feb. 5, Our Lady of the Pines Church, Woodville, Father Michael Strother, presiding.
- Feb. 19, St. Henry Church, Bridge City, Father Steven Leger, presiding.
- March 5, St. James Church, Port Arthur, Father J.C. Coon, presiding.
- May 7, Sacred Heart Church, Raywood, Father George Okeahialam, M.S.P., presiding.
- Date pending for workshop in Spanish, Father Stephen McCrate, presiding.